Saturday, March 19, 2005

HD?!? - I'm Not Talking About Video

*Click-whirr*

That's how my session in front of Neko-kun, my XP-Pro powered tower, started off.

Gah.

I never thought that would happen to me.

I really didn't imagine it ever happening at all.

My 8GB HD, the original HD from my Pac-Bell tower I scrapped a few years back, chugged along for 4.5 years before I stopped using it everyday. Not to mention the fact that it is currently loaded with Red Hat 9 and sitting unplugged in one of Neko-kun's drive bays as a somewhat failed server side-project. It still works.

Well, the drive I had named Otohime, after the sea princess in the Japanese folktale of Urashima Taro died after three days of hearing the *click*whirr*. I played a slight word game with the name. At first though, the Love Hina character Otohime Mutsumi comes to mind, since she is one of my favorite characters, whose last name is written 乙姫. But since I used it to store my music, among other things, I wrote it 音姫, i.e. "sound-princess"

But yeah. I will name its successor the same. I plan to buy a SATA drive. Preferably one over 200GB like my 250GB SATA named Urashima since I like the smallness of the cables. So much easier to handle than the IDEs.

Funny thing is that I had bought Otohime to temporarily replace my current main system drive (20GB) that had suffered a freak accident and locked the system out. I lost all of my high school work due to my idiot-ness of not being able to get the stuff decrypted. So it got reformated and its now my system drive.

But first I have to buy new tires. With this sudden rainy weather, I find that my tires do not have the grip necessary for taking the turns I normally take. My current tires are 14" Falken Ziex 512s. Mighty good tires I might add, but I've worn the outer section down to the point of no grip.

I was considering buying Kumhos maybe the ECSTA 711. Oh well. Only time will tell.

No comments: